Monday, November 21, 2016

Week Seven - Rioja "The Dream Spot"

Parker's first area is Rioja in the Moyobama zone.  It is in higher jungle closer to the Andes.

Plane ride to the mission

So we left the MTC and went straight to Iquitos. That place is the hottest place known to man! I stepped off the plane and was soaking wet. It’s so humid. 

The mission home was cool it was the biggest group to ever go to Iquitos. There were 21 missionaries total.


I’m in Rioja and my companion is Elder Doloriert. He’s super chill. He’s from Lima but he speaks perfect English. It’s great but he knows how to make me work and to speak Spanish. It’s crazy how much you learn every day, but it’s still not pretty. The people talk so fast and some people mumble so it’s super hard but it’s chill.


Ride to Moyobama and Rioja
These first couple of days were kind of hard but it’s been fun. The language is coming but it takes time. We’ve taught like 10 lessons! The people are so receptive. It’s crazy how strong the Spirit is and when you don’t worry about yourself the words just come. 

Rioja is super nice - it’s not nearly as hot. People call it the 'dream spot' because it’s actually cool at night. Elder Jackson, one of my buddies from the CCM, is with me here. It’s so cool to have someone going through the same stuff as you. We have a pensionista who cooks for us. The meals aren’t that bad but I’ve mastered the “pill technique” where you put it in your mouth and then chug your drink. Its hard some days but it’s mostly because I get down on myself and the language.


The CCM was lit I made so many friends and met so many cool people. We went it Iquitos for like 2 days and some people stayed there but I went to Rioja (it’s right next to Moyobamba).


My apartment is small - 2 desks and 2 beds. The shower is like a faucet - no shower head or hot water but it’s not bad because you’re hot all the time. It has only rained once. I was only able to take one suitcase with me - the Timberland duffel - but the moto car burned a hole where the handle is that pops out - so no big deal. But that was like the first day - it was kind of funny. 

There is a branch here, not a ward. I’m in the jungle - it’s crazy there’s like moto cars. It smells like Glenwood just because it’s like dirt bikes. There are a ton of dogs here. The people are so nice. It’s super poor here though like some people have dirt floors - it’s crazy. But I haven’t felt like I’ve had that culture shock yet.


It’s crazy though you are working 24-7. I’m having fun (you have to make it fun too). Just gotta get lost in the work. I haven’t got sick yet - knock on wood - so I’m good - just gotta keep going.


It’s crazy how fast it’s been. I love you so much.


Elder Moore

Elder Moore and Elder Jackson in their new Rioja Apartment

Rioja

Rioja from the apartment window

No comments:

Post a Comment